More Than a Reagent Dispenser
While traditional handheld pipettes or larger automated liquid dispensers greatly deteriorate in accuracy and precision below 2 µL volumes, the MANTIS® automated liquid dispenser excels at low-volume dispensing in a wide variety of scientific workflows.
Assay Development and Design of Experiment (DoE)
Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) - Library Preparation
Polymerase Chain-reaction (PCR) Workflows - Real-time and Digital
Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assays (ELISA)
Cell Culture and Bead-Based Assays
Scaling Up Organoid Cultures
3D Cell Culture
- Efficient: Miniaturize
reactions, scale-up through-put, save on reagents, and remove pipette tip cost
- Reproducible: Dispense volumes down to 100nL at CV < 3%
- Versatile: Easily dispense and normalize reagents and cell culture assays
- Maintain Compliance: GLP, 21 CFR Part 11 ready
- Biosafety Cabinet Compatible: With its compact dimensions (350 mm x 232 mm x 212 mm), the MANTIS can be used in various biosafety cabinets to accommodate workflows that require this level of safety.
Overview of the MANTIS®
The MANTIS automated liquid dispenser is the easy and affordable solution to quickly increase the reproducibility and quality of your research as well as throughput and efficiency of your laboratory. The diaphragm-based chip design is liquid class compatible, easily dispensing aqueous and organic solutions. Additionally, the MANTIS will dispense in any SBS template from 6 to 1536 well plates, and can be easily programmed to dispense to custom designs as needed.
Large Capacity Chip Changer (LC3) Upgrade
- Allows up to 24 (single LC3) or 48 (dual LC3) chip capacity.
- Fully integrated into the MANTIS software.
- RFID technology identifies all chips stored on the LC3.
- Offered with new MANTIS instruments or as an upgrade for existing MANTISes.
Enhance Laboratory Efficiency
Efficient research means that reagent dead volumes, tip consumption, and reaction volumes are minimized.
The MANTIS liquid dispenser dispenses volumes from 100 nL to 100s of mL allowing researchers to commonly run 2-5 µL reaction volumes in genomics and screening workflows.
To minimize dead volume, reagents plug directly into the microfluidic chip. Dead volumes are further reduced to just 6 μL by using pipette tips as reagent reservoirs, making the MANTIS ideal for dispensing even the most precious reagents.
Normalize Your Assay Plate, Quickly and Easily
- The MANTIS software automatically calculates the normalization values for you
- The Continuous Flow (CF) chip bulk dispenses at >600 µL/sec, therefore, quickly normalizing each sample tube, well, and plate
"Using MANTIS, I recently performed a high-throughput qPCR-based drug screen in stem cell derived retinal cells and acquired reliable data with homogeneity, precision, and faster dispensing. The instrument is user-friendly and has easily paid for itself in the savings associated with both expensive reagents and tip consumption in our lab. The MANTIS is an essential tool for any lab that wishes to perform the most efficient and reproducible genetic analysis.”
Srinivas R. Sripathi
Wilmer Eye Institute at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
Dispense Beads and Cells with Ease
Magnetic beads are an efficient means for extracting and purifying nucleic acids. Conventional pipetting may result in the non-uniform dispensing of mag beads, leading to a lack of reproducibility. The ability of the MANTIS to precisely dispense high viscosity liquids allows uniform dosing of beads reducing operating costs and plastic waste.
Cells can be extremely sensitive, requiring additional care during handling, making the scalability of assays very challenging. The dispensing action of the MANTIS liquid dispenser is gentle enough to dispense even the most delicate cells, such as primary neurons, while maintaining cell viability.
Use of Microfluidic Technology in MANTIS
At the core of our dispensers is patented microdiaphragm pump that meters and dispenses discrete volumes of liquid. This valve cluster can fill and dispense as fast as 10 times per second (exact speed depends on specific product). This proven technology is both incredibly precise and viscosity independent.
"FORMULATRIX is providing products that are state of the art in terms of fluidic and nanofluidic liquid handling. The technological excellence of these liquid handlers allows us to develop tailored scientific solutions that are extremely relevant for our collaborators' applications and workflows."
Highly Reproducible Data
Since liquid handling imprecision impacts experimental reproducibility, researchers consider CVs to be a vital factor when considering the automation of their research.
At the core of the MANTIS' microfluidic dispensing chip is a valve cluster that measures and dispenses discrete volumes of liquid. This valve cluster has two micro-diaphragms (select either 100 nL and 500 nL or 1 μL and 5 μL) that can fill and dispense as rapidly as 10 times per second.
|Low Volume Chip||CV*|
|High Volume Chip||CV*|
|Continuous Flow Chip||CV*|
* = The coefficient of variation (CV) is the average of three independent microfluidic Chip readings.
"...[The Mantis liquid dispenser] helps us minimizes variation in sample prep. It is the most economical way to for us to reliably dispense sub-microliter volumes to each of our wells and help minimize our volumes..."
Versatility for Any and All Labs
The MANTIS dispenses any reagent efficiently and reproducibly regardless of volume, viscosity, temperature, concentration, and research experience. It is no wonder that every year, more and more researchers discover and obtain the MANTIS for dispensing reagents as a part of their diverse set of scientific workflows.
MANTIS® ROI Calculator
Determine a Return on Investment for the MANTIS system vs pipetting with disposable tips. Every lab is uniquely operated and, therefore, return on investment calculators are only as good as the information entered.
User Account Management System
The MANTIS software allows seamless operation in regulatory environments including controlling user access and tracking user history. Our user management system will help you run your MANTIS liquid dispenser in GLP, 21 CFR Part 11, or other regulatory environments by controlling user permissions and storing an official audit trail for your records.
Here are some key benefits of the MANTIS 21 CFR Part 11 "capable" software:
User Account Management
- Restrict user access and instrument control by locally defined permission levels
- Lock users after failed login attempts
- Set and manage password requirements
- Archive old users, keep all user records
Secure Audit Trail Logging
- Date and time stamped user-action and instrument action records
- Full instrument and user-action electronic records are stored in a secure database
- Export log files to password protected PDFs
- Selectively manage log elements included in your audit trails
- Audit trails maintained for the lifetime of the instrument